Classic Beef Stew Recipe
posted Oct 12 2020 | All posts
Looking for a delicious, easy fall meal? We’ve got you covered with this comforting beef stew recipe!
I, like many of you, have been honing my cooking craft over this quarantine. As we started in cold weather, we're coming back to colder weather, and over that time I've been making a delicious, simple beef stew recipe. Makes enough for the whole family for a weeknight, or have it ready for the weekend as it heats up beautifully!
Get 10% off this week’s featured recipe bundle! Including cubed stew beef, onions, potatoes, and carrots. Get the bundle here.
- 1.5lbs cubed stew beef
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- ½ cup red wine (optional)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound potatoes
- 4 carrots
- Peas (optional)
- Rosemary & thyme (optional)
- Combine ½ teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder with 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix cubed stew beef well in mixture.
- In a Dutch oven or pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add beef along with a dice onion.
- When onions are translucent and beef is browned, add 2 cloves of minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Cook for about 2 minutes or until paste has slightly darkened.
- Add 4 cups of beef broth, ½ cup of red wine, and 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Scrape bottom of pot to remove brown bits. (5 cups of broth if you choose to not use red wine.)
- Bring to boil then add in 1 pound of cubed potatoes and 4 carrots cut into the size of your preference. Along with optional pinches of fresh rosemary or thyme.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until beef is tender. (up to 90 minutes).
- Mix equal parts water (~2 tbsp) of water and cornstarch and add to stew slowly until desired consistency is achieved. If adding peas, add ¾ cup now and let cook 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley to serve.
And that's it! The perfect fall comfort food made simple.