posted Feb 18 2021 | All posts
I don’t know about you, but nothing hits the spot and involves more hidden veggies (vitamins, minerals, and fiber) than homemade meatloaf.
- 1 red red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 8 ounces of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Brown sugar to taste (¼-1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Chop and/or mince all of the veggies and mushrooms (a blender can help).
- Place all Loaf ingredients above in a bowl and mix with your bare, pre-washed, hands until a uniform texture is reached. If too dry and crumbly, add a ¼ water or another egg. If too runny, add more breadcrumbs (this is the science of the perfect loaf).
- Place the meat-vegetable mix onto a pre-greased or oiled baking sheet. Only grease directly below the loaf as a means of easier clean-up later.
- Tuck the edges of the loaf under it until it reaches the desired shape. Optional* spray the top with cooking oil for extra crispiness.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a brush, or carefully with any other utensil, apply the glaze to the top of the loaf.
- Place back into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before cutting it into slices and serving. Optional* Broil the last 2-3 minutes for extra caramelization.
- Serve and enjoy.